Valley News – New London man charged with school threat on social media 


X Scalper

Staff report

NEWPORT — A 20-year-old New London man is being held over the weekend after he allegedly posted an image on social media of an adult male who appeared to be threatening to undertake a school shooting, according to police.

Benjamin Schultz was arraigned Friday morning in Newport District Court on a misdemeanor charge of criminal threatening, which carries up to a one-year jail sentence and $2,000 fine, according to a news release from New London police.

Schultz was ordered held on preventative detention pending a bail hearing on Monday, according to a court clerk.

The FBI alerted New London police on Aug. 9 that there had been a “possible threat to life that was made over social media” in a post made by Schultz, the release said.

He allegedly “created and posted the image of an adult male holding what appeared to be a firearm pointed at the camera with the caption: ‘You better not go to school tomorrow,’ ” the news release said. 

New London Police Chief Edward Andersen said Schultz does not currently attend any school but authorities were concerned by the threat.

“When we received this information, with everything going on in society, we took it very seriously and determined through the investigation that an arrest was warranted,” Andersen said. “With school opening on Monday, we wanted to make sure he was detained prior to the beginning of school.”

Schultz was arrested on Thursday, police said.




Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*